USPTO Patent Full-Text and Image Database (PatFT)
Searching Full Text Patents (Since 1976)
Customize a search on all or a selected group of elements (fields) of a patent.
Searching PDF Image Patents (Since 1790)
Searches are limited to patent numbers and/or classification codes for pre-1976 patents.
USPTO Patent Application Full-Text and Image Database (AppFT)
Search for Full-Text and Image versions of patent applications. Customize searches on all fields of a patent application in the AppFT for Full-Text searches.
Searches are limited to patent numbers and/or classification codes for Full-Page images.
View Publication Full-Page Images
International Patent Offices
To see if your idea has been patented abroad, you’ll want to refer to searchable databases made available from other International Intellectual Property offices.
Free online access to patent collections is provided by many countries. Some available databases include:
- European Patent Office (EPO) provides esp@cenet a network of Europe’s patent databases- This site also provides access to machine translation of European patents for some languages. EPO also recommends these free databases for patent research.
- Japan Patent Office (JPO) – This site also provides access to machine translations of Japanese patents.
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) provides PATENTSCOPE® Search Service, which features a full-text search of published international patent applications and machine translations for some documents as well as a list of international patent databases.
- Korean Intellectual Property Rights Information Service (KIPRIS)
- State Intellectual Property Office (SIPO) of the People’s Republic of China and their official SIPO search site. These sites provides access to machine translation of Chinese patents.
- Other International Intellectual Property Offices that provide searchable patent databases include: Australia, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, India, Israel, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland and Taiwan.